PBES PTA Standing Committees
Committee & Committee Chair Descriptions
Awards & Services Committee: TBA (To Be Announced)
Budget & Finance Committee: The chair/committee will:
- Develop a financial plan for procuring and apportioning funds to meet the needs of the year’s activities as planned by the PTA.
- The Committee’s financial plan should include, for example: funds needed for administrative work, committee activities and programs, State Leadership Conference and convention expenses, liability and bonding insurance, special projects, district meetings, council dues if our unit pays a flat fee (not per member) for council membership, publications, scholarships, and other expenses should be included in the PTA budget
- Perform an audit of the PTA’s financial books at the end of the year or any time a new treasurer takes over.
Bylaws Committee: The chair/committee helps maintain Paint Branch Elementary PTA’s “good standing” status by insuring compliance with bylaws; bylaws are current within the 3-year period; and that required revisions and amendments are prepared and submitted for approval to the Maryland PTA following the procedures found in their bylaws, or other controlling document.
Communications & Graphic Design Committee: The chair/committee focuses on utilizing all avenues of communications to help strengthen the visibility of the PTA to the general public. Avenues of communication include the Paint Branch PTA website, Facebook & Twitter Pages, Email Blasts, Newsletter, and other Community Announcements. Helps to promote PTA initiatives, activities and events to its members. [Good job that can be done at home]
- Webmaster: Maintains and updates information and contacts on the PTA website including a calendar of events, membership information, volunteer sign up, school directory, and so much more!
- Facebook/Twitter: Maintains and updates the Paint Branch PTA Facebook and Twitter pages. The Facebook and Twitter pages serve as an additional mode of communication to parents. Items from the PTA newsletter, website, emails and other social media accounts are often repeated on the Facebook and Twitter pages.
Community Outreach Committee: The chair/committee organizes and implements community outreach, programs, events and activities, such as: community nights; coat and uniform clothing drives; school supply drives; book drives and shoe drives. Collects items from parents and delivers to various organizations in need. Coordinates events and activities with PTA Community Partners and informs the PBES parents, students and staff members of events in our Paint Branch community and surrounding areas.
Hospitality Committee: The chair/committee promotes the spirit of friendliness and cooperation within the Paint Branch community. It provides support to welcoming functions of the school and shows appreciation to Paint Branch volunteers. Additionally, this committee will provide or coordinate refreshments for PTA meetings, PTA or PBES activities, special events, etc.
Instructional Services Committee: TBA (To Be Announced)
Legislation Committee: The chair/committee:
- Studies legislation at the local, state, and national levels that pertain to children and youth and/or educational matters
- Presents the state and national legislative agenda to the membership
- Drafts testimony to reflect the position of the PTA
Membership Committee: The chair/committee promotes and facilitates the enrollment of parents, teachers, and other staff and community members in the PTA. Duties include the effective management of the annual membership drive, collecting annual dues, and establishing a membership list. [Good job that can be done at home]
- For each membership drive, stamp membership envelopes for distribution, collect envelopes, record membership names for printing at later date in bulletin
- Collect, count, and deposit money with financial secretary or Treasurer
- Develop bulletin notices to list and thank all paid members
- Coordinate with PTA Directory Chairperson if combined with the distribution of the PTA directory
Nominations & Elections Committee: The chair/committee is charged with searching, screening and evaluating individuals and nominating candidates for the Offices of; President, Vice President(s), Secretary, and Treasurer.
Programs Committee: The chair/committee plans programs for parents/teachers/students for general membership meetings; contacts presenters and send confirmation letters; arranges for audio-visual equipment, if needed; and sends thank you notes for all PTA Programs, including but not limited to the following:
- Social Activities - Fall Family Night: The chair/committee promotes and coordinates an evening of entertainment, games, and food, to promote school spirit and enjoyment.
- Social Activities - Spring Family Night: The chair/committee promotes and coordinates an afternoon of family fun in the form of a spring family night. This event may include the services of a local restaurant/caterer, DJ, and amusements.
- Social and Family Outreach: The chair/committee manages monthly community service activities with the Student Council. These may include fall and/or spring food drives; or hat/scarf/mitten/sock drive. The committee also maintains the clothing and school supply cabinets for the guidance counselors
- Teacher & Staff Appreciation: The chair/committee is responsible for proposing, promoting and implementing PTA sponsored appreciation events during the school year to include Bus Drivers, Cafeteria Workers, Counselors, Custodians, Librarians, Nurse, Secretaries, Teachers, and Principal and Assistant Principal. The emphasis is on the children learning to express their appreciation.
- Volunteer Coordinator: The chair/committee will serve as the link between the local PTA and the Paint Branch community by coordinating a match for identified volunteers and their skills with areas of need. The coordinator also maintains a roster of volunteers to coordinate with committee chairpersons. [Good job that can be done at home]
Ways & Means Committee: The chair/committee organizes and plans PTA fundraisers to support the PTA budget. Fundraisers can be Direct Drive Campaigns where individuals donate cash to support the budget or Sales-Based Fundraisers where individuals sell items such as wrapping paper; food items, etc. to others to raise money for the PTA. Also responsible for maintaining and promoting our PTA Sponsorship Program; Honey Bee Donors Program; Autism Program Fundraisers; Buckets For Change; Restaurant Nights; and other methods of traditional and on-line PTA fundraising.
- Fundraising - Box Tops: The chair promotes and facilitates all label programs, such as Box Tops 4 Education program. Encourage families to utilize the Box Tops website and cut Box Tops For Education. Coordinates volunteers to collect and count Box Tops from each classroom. This program requires an early start in the school year.
- Fundraising - Community Programs: The chair/committee promotes and facilitates the successful execution of all community programs, such as Giant and Safeway receipt programs, and the Target Credit Card promotion. These programs require an early start in the school year as they typically yield a sizable income for the PTA. [Good job that can be done at home]
Descriptions of Proposed PTA Activities/Events*
(*We've compiled a list of events and activities from other established Elementary School PTAs who each had great ideas about events and activities for their students and communities! We're hopeful that our PTA can begin a few of the following activities and events at Paint Branch Chinese Immersion Elementary School in the coming school years!)
After-school Sports: The chair coordinates after-school sports clubs such as Basketball and Baseball to include implementation of the programs and organizing volunteers. The chairperson secures the time and location for each class through the school office.
Art Aides: The chair coordinates parent volunteers to assist the school’s art teacher during art classes or with Arts Integration projects; and also helps with PTA Art projects and the PTA Newsletter, Flyers and Website. Good job that can be done at home.
Assemblies: The chair/committee researches and secures various artists to perform at school-wide assemblies throughout the year. This process is coordinated with Paint Branch teachers and staff to ensure the performances are related to classroom studies. While the focus may change from one school year to the next, the objective remains to encourage students to enjoy and participate in the arts by providing opportunities for art, music, as well as other forms of creative expression, with special attention given to ensure a culturally diverse selection of programs.
Before and After-school Programs: Volunteers coordinates after school enrichment classes such as Lego League, Dance, Chess Club, Karate, Zumba, etc... The chair secures the time and location for each class through the school office. Some programs may require implementation of the program and organization of volunteers.
FLEX: Help organize after school foreign language program for students and parents (in Chinese, Spanish & English - for non-English speaking families).
Fundraising - Boosterthon: The chair serves as the primary point of contact for the Boosterthon Team and helps to promote the Boosterthon Fun Run to the entire school via posters, flyers, and morning announcements. Coordinates volunteers as needed for collecting and counting donations at the end of the event.
Fundraising - Entertainment Books: The chair/committee promotes and facilitates the successful execution of this fundraiser for Paint Branch. The coordinator will distribute and collect the books that are not sold, and tabulate sales. This program requires a proposal to be submitted in late August or early September.
Grounds Beautification: The chair/committee has primary responsibility for overseeing and coordinating school landscape initiatives, and maintaining the school entrances with appropriate seasonal plantings. Works closely with the PBCIS Green Team Program Coordinator.
Health & Safety - Clinics: The chair/committee assists the school nurse in staffing the clinic with volunteers and organizing the annual health screening activities to include vision/hearing testing as well as lice checks.
Health & Safety - Events: The chair coordinates with the Paint Branch Physical Education teacher (Ms. Hawkins) for Jump Rope for Heart, the annual spring field days and other health awareness events.
Innovation and Invention Fair: The objectives of the I&I fair are to acquaint students with the creative problem solving process and collaborative brainstorming techniques. It teaches students to think in new ways and have fun coming up with ideas and implementing them. The chair/committee promotes and coordinates the Fair. This is not necessarily an annual event at Paint Branch and is at the discretion of the PTA Board and the school administration.
Kindergarten Events: The chair/committee coordinates the PTA presence and participation at three events to include Kindergarten Open House, and coordinates a K-1 Parents Coffee in the fall, and Kindergarten Orientation in the spring. Works closely with the PTA Board and PBES teachers, staff and administration.
Learning Gardens: The goal of the Learning Gardens project is to bring students closer to nature through gardening that is tied directly to grade-level curricula. This project shows students how they can and do directly affect the environment around them. The primary emphasis of the Learning Garden is enhancing the students’ science curriculum, but the gardens can be used as a resource across all subjects. The chair coordinates volunteers, plans maintenance and oversees grade-level coordinators.
Library Aides: The chair coordinates parent volunteers to provide daily support to the school librarian, and supplemental support during one or two book fairs during the school year. [Good job that can be done at home.]
Lost & Found: Sorts Lost and Found items monthly and donates unclaimed items.
Marquee: Coordinates volunteers to update the school sign once or twice per month.
Packet Stuffing: The chairperson coordinates volunteers to help collect flyers and stuff packets for the first day of school. Requires commitment the last week in August.
Patrol Parents: The chair/committee assists the Patrol Leader/Teacher with hot cocoa days and small-scale fundraisers to support patrol needs and camps.
Recycling: The chair promotes and facilitates recycling programs throughout the school. Primarily manages the recycling program in the school cafeteria. Organizes recycling monitors to assist at the beginning of the year and train student “recycling rangers” to take over monitoring throughout the year. Works closely with the PBES Green Team Program Director.
Reflections: The chair/committee promotes and coordinates the annual program to ensure timely and organized submission of contest entries, secures appropriate judges, and arranges a recognition event at Paint Branch. The Reflections program provides an opportunity for students to use their creative talents to express themselves through their own original work in six creative arts categories to include visual arts, literature, musical composition, photography, film/video production, and dance/choreography.
Room Parents: The chair/committee promotes and coordinates room parents for each Paint Branch classroom, to provide support to classroom teachers and facilitate communications throughout the school. This includes holding an orientation meeting in the fall, and providing a personal welcome to each new Paint Branch family. Must work closely with the Teacher Appreciation Committee Chair.
School Supply Kits: The School Supply Kit chair is responsible for submitting the school supply list by grade to our PTA vendor in order to obtain a quote. They approve the contents of the packs, promote the sale of the kits, submit the final order and arrange for delivery and distribution during the next open house.
Special Needs: Volunteers for Autism Awareness Week
Spirit Wear: The chair/committee has the mission of promoting school spirit at Paint Branch by obtaining design approval for a line of Paint Branch clothing and for selling these at various events throughout the school year. It is important to obtain a selection of products early on in the school year.
PTA Directory: The chair/committee promotes and coordinates the production of the annual PTA Directory. This may entail conducting a black ink student art contest for use on the cover, or substituting a school photo or illustration. Compile data collected from the PTA Secretary, Membership Committee Chairperson and the Community Outreach Committee Chairperson to compose PTA directory. Work with PTA President and PTA Board for any changes in content or format. Arrange for professional printer (that you choose) to have materials printed and collated. The Membership Committee Chairperson also distributes the directory to the families using labels printed by the PTA Secretary. Coordinate with Membership Chairperson if combined with membership enrollment.
Thanksgiving Luncheon: The chair/committee manages the promotion and planning of this school sponsored family luncheon. To include organizing volunteers to assist during the lunch.
Yearbook: Chairperson manages photography, creation and layout of the school yearbook for publishing. Collects orders and manages distribution of yearbook in May or June. (Works closely with school teachers, staff and administration - unless the yearbook is solely created and distributed by PBES staff.)
The PBES PTA Standing Committees site is currently under construction. Please come back later!
ABOUT US MENU
CLICK HERE to go to:
⇒PBES PTA Standing Committees