Letter from the PTA President
Hello! ~ 你好！(Nĭ Hăo!) ~ ¡Hola!
Welcome back everyone! My name is Avery Massey and I'm the President of our Paint Branch Chinese Immersion Elementary School (PBES) PTA for the 2018-19 school year! I'm both honored and excited to lead and work with our PBES PTA, and the PBES staff, parents, students, and community members.
Our recently installed PTA Officers and Board Members have exciting activities and ⇒Events planned for our PBES family throughout this school year! Additionally, we're excited and overjoyed to welcome our NEW principal, Dr. Tricia Hairston and 20 NEW PBES teachers and staff members for the 2018-19 school year! ⇒VIEW Principal Welcome Letter & Full List of New PBES Staff
Together, our PTA has accomplished a lot since our Executive Committee elections were held on January 22, 2018. During the final five months of the 2017-18 school year, we've:
- payed outstanding PTA debt;
- achieved both procedural and administrative compliance in our PTA and state filings and paperwork;
- drafted a proposed 2017-18 budget AND reviewed and amended our PTA Bylaws - both approved by the PTA Board on March 2, 2018;
- drafted a proposed 2018-19 budget - approved on June 18, 2018;
- provided breakfast for our more than 90-member PBES Staff;
- created an interactive PBES PTA website;
- updated our social media sites and other communication tools;
- solicited public and private donations and sponsorship;
- conducted a mid-year membership drive - where we more than DOUBLED our PTA Membership;
- planned PTA events and programs;
- purchased books for the community's ESL Program;
- provided a microwave and delicious snacks for the PBES Staff lounge;
- celebrated and acknowledged our teachers and staff during teacher appreciation week;
- recognized our wonderful administrative staff during administrative professionals week;
- held a wonderfully-tasty and wildly-successful Ice Cream Social;
- hosted a New Principal Meeting & Forum with PGCPS Administration;
- advocated on behalf of all PBES Stakeholders (i.e., students, staff, parents, community partners, etc.)
- provided financial and other support to various PBES activities;
- conducted a candy drive & fundraiser for Autism Awareness Month;
- gifted each of our Autism students with a custom PBES drawstring bag; and
- almost doubled the PTA's budget through private donations!
In addition, we raised more than $300 in just one day of our #10for10 Challenge, where we ask 10 people to donate $10 to PBES PTA! It has been a very successful fundraising campaign that you can participate in by clicking ANY of our secure PayPal buttons on our website - including the one at the bottom of this page! Remember, your donations to PBES PTA are tax-deductible - and as always, we appreciate and will gladly accept contributions of any amount!
As you can see, this website is critical to our mission and our work, and we sincerely believe that you'll find it both useful and informative. With that in mind, I've decided to use this President's Page to provide you with monthly highlights and inform you about PBES, PBES PTA, and other community programs and initiatives - and important meeting and events.
On that note, please mark your calendars - all parents of students who attend Paint Branch ES are invited to attend the "Principal's Meet and Greet" on Thursday, August 30, 2018 from 8:30 AM to 9:30 AM. Please come by and say, "hello" to Dr. Hairston! Also, parents of Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten students are invited to attend a systemic orientation at Paint Branch Elementary School on Thursday, August 30, 2018 from 10:00 AM to 12 NOON. Parents will have an opportunity to meet their child's teacher and receive information about the early childhood program.
Our PBES Back-To-School Night is Wednesday, September 12, 2018 from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM. Also, our first PTA General Membership Meeting & Kick-off is Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 6:30 PM! Please visit our ⇒PTA Meetings page for more information. You don't want to miss these events - we expect to see ALL PBES staff, parents and other interested individuals there, and look forward to meeting and getting to know each one of you!
School begins on Tuesday, September 4, 2018 - and starts promptly at 9:15 AM! Please plan to arrive early (8:50 AM) during the first few days of school. Bring plenty of patience, a great attitude, and arrive wearing your terrific smile! Are you ready? Do you have your supplies and uniforms? Are you familiar with this year's changes to pick-up and drop-off your students? Have you completed your free and reduced lunch applications? Does your student have bus transportation this school year? Have you visited our ⇒Back-2-School Page , ⇒New Parents Page , and ⇒Pre-K & Kindergarten Page to get answers to your questions and much needed information and resources at our school for this school year??? We've conveniently placed it all there for you!
As a reminder, volunteers are the heart of our organization! Without you, there is no us! We're currently looking for volunteers to donate time, talents, skills, and abilities - IN ANY CAPACITY! If you want to volunteer at PBES with PTA Programs, participate in arts and crafts nights, pop popcorn at movie nights, sell baked good with students for fundraisers, and so much more - please ⇒Contact Us! We have wonderful events planned for the remainder of the 2018-19 school year - and appreciate anything that you can contribute! You may volunteer to help with our PTA Meetings or other PTA events by ⇒CLICKING HERE to visit our PTA Volunteer Sign-up System!!!
We're off to an excellent start; however, there's so much more that we CAN and WILL accomplish together! Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions, concerns, ideas, suggestions, comments or even critiques! We're here for you and look forward to a successful and productive 2018-19 school year!
Okay PBES Families...Ready, Set, Go! (⇒CLICK HERE for PGCPS county-wide Back-To-School Information) I look forward to seeing each of you on Tuesday!
Sincerely Yours In Service,
⇓⇓⇓ WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT!
Mrs. Massey greets parents and students during Back-To-School Night on September 12, 2018. PBES PTA welcomed over 40 new PTA Members who joined that evening!!!
⇓⇓⇓ Mrs. Massey greets our new principal, Dr. Tricia Hairston, and PBES parents at the "Principal's Meet & Greet" Meeting on August 30, 2018
What we're EXCITED about...
PBSA at Paint Branch Chinese Immersion School
The Paint Branch Student Association (PBSA) was NEW last school year! They are a group of 5th and 6th graders that provide services to groups in school and the community and promote school spirit and pride!
⇒CLICK HERE to visit the PBSA's PTA site!!!